Summary: Max Floyd, Director of Athletics, Campus Recreation, talked about way to “break bad habits by breaking out of the ruts that we get into”, Greg Keener gave a report-out of the successes from the Staff Appreciation Picnic, Kelly Segovia presented the timeline for Employee of the Year award, Shana Atkins and Gretta Kohler presented highlights from the Thrive launch event, and Jennifer Killingsworth announced the upcoming SAC meeting speakers through January 2015.
Welcome Back & Reminders (Jennifer Killingsworth): Includes attendance requirement review and importance of standing committee meeting attendance. October SAC meeting we will be reviewing standing committee goals for the upcoming year.
- Committee Assignments & Attendance was discussed
- 1st committee meeting should include year long goal discussion
- Tree Advisory, Parking & Transportation Advisory & Capital Planning Committees were filled by: Sharon Fortner, Travis Manning, and Rachel Weaver respectively.
Staff Appreciation Event Summary and Debrief (Greg Keener): Events committee will provide a summary of our June staff event including examples of feedback received from the campus community. Also, this is a chance for everyone to share any feedback/comments/suggestions they have heard around the water cooler.
- 685 People in attendance (only 300 people RSVP’d)
- 809 lbs of food collected during the event
- The mural painted at the event is currently at Reynolda House
- Greg recognized the Events committee members who made the event so special
- Requested a write-up to go on the SAC website with photos. Shana Atkins to work with Greg to get this up prior to our October meeting.
- Jennifer to work on getting more budget money for the FY’15
Employee of the Year Process (Kelly Segovia): Discussion of the role the SAC will fill for the Employee of the Year selection and upcoming deadlines. More details will come in October about the actual recognition program.
- SAC facilitates nominations & election for the EOY
- Discussion of process & deadlines:
- 2 week nomination to begin next week (9/15)
- Voting opens to SAC (10/8-10/17)
- Notify finalist (10/20)
- EOY lunch & campus celebration (11/4)
Thrive (Shana Atkins & Gretta Kohler): Summary of the new Wake Forest approach to wellbeing. The official kick-off event was held Friday, September 5th.
Mix & Mingle: If we have time, this is an opportunity for new and continuing representatives to get to know each other.
Guest Speaker: Max Floyd from Campus Recreation will highlight offerings available to staff. View his presentation here.
- Max talked about how to break bad habits by breaking out of the ruts that we get into.
- Miller Center – Opens daily at 5:30 a.m. during the week & is free to staff. Miller Center offer:
- Cardio recreation
- Free weights
- Mats for floor exercises
- Olympic weightlifting platform, etc.
- Group Fitness (35 group fitness classes every week)
- Personal Training
- Intramural Sports
- Outdoor Pursuits
- For the full listing of offerings available to staff, please refer to the Campus Rec website.
Homecoming: September 20th
October: WFU Basketball Coach Danny Manning & Dustie Lanier from The United Way
November: School of Business Dean Charles Iacovou
January: John Shenette, AVP Facilities & Campus Svcs